New for 2018!! This will be a charter year for us and so will only be accepting a limited number of shareholders this year.
No Pesticides – No Herbicides – No Fungicides – Our produce is Certified by CNG
Unlike conventional farming, we are building up our soil so that it will be able to be used for years to come without chemicals & synthetic fertilizers. By using rich organic material in our gardens, rotational & successional plantings, row covers, & more, we work to keep bug & disease at a minimum and so produce quality food you can eat with confidence.
• Why do a CSA? This provides an opportunity to partner with a local farm. With your CSA membership, the farm receives ‘seed money’ at the start of the season in exchange for a share in the harvest during the length of the membership. Its a way to make a vested interest in local agriculture while enjoying the rewards of seasonal produce free from herbicides, pesticides, GMO’s, and synthetic fertilizers.
• Where will pickup be? CSA customers may pick up their weekly box of produce at the farm or the following weekly farmers markets: Leesburg (Sat), Ashburn (Sat), Stone Ridge (Sat), & Mt. Vernon (Wed). Home delivery is also available for 20147, 20147, & the South Riding community.
• What to expect? 1 Share will typically feed 2-3 people who prepare meals about 4 times per week. There will be a weekly assortment of our best produce worth about $35 at our normal market rates. Over the course of the season, veggies will include: spinach, spring lettuce mix, hot mix salad, head lettuce, radishes, kale, chard, beets, zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, & basil.
Approximately a 1/2 bushel of veggies. You can expect 7-10 items each week.
What do you mean by seasonal produce? Eating seasonally means you will receive veggies depending on the current growing season. Below is an example of what you might find in your seasonal basket throughout the three seasons. For example, you wouldn’t expect to find tomatoes before July.
Example One: 3 mini heads of lettuce or 1 bag of loose leaf lettuce mix, 1 bunch swiss chard, 2 lb zucchini/squash, 3 lbs tomatoes, 1 qrt. cherry tomatoes, 1 lb potatoes, 1/2 lb. bell pepper, 1 bunch basil
Example Two: 1 bag of spinach, 1 bunch kale, 2 lb zucchini/squash, 3 lbs tomatoes, 1 qrt. cherry tomatoes, 2 lb cucumbers, 1/2 lb. bell pepper
1 bag lettuce, 1 bunch kale, 1 head cabbage, 1 bunch carrots, 3 lbs. potatoes, 1 butternut squash, 2 pound sweet potatoes
• When will this begin and end? CSA will begin the week of June 11th and end with the last pickup the week of October 8th (note that our family will be traveling the week of Sep. 8-14 and so there will be no CSA pickup that week)
• How much? Our veggie CSA will cost $500 (+tax) for the season. This includes delivery to a farmer’s market. For an additional $80 ($5/week), Tuesday morning home delivery is available for homes located in 20147, 20148, & the South Riding community (5am-7am – no need to greet us as we would place your products, that can also include pre-ordered meat & eggs, in a box or cooler outside your home).
CSA Agreement: By purchasing a share in the Honey Brook CSA program, I have accepted the terms of this membership agreement. Members of the CSA will receive a weekly share of produce, varying in size depending on the time of season. One aspect of CSA is that members support their farmer by sharing in the inherent risks of agriculture (poor weather, drought, crop failure, etc.) and the rewards (organic, exceptionally fresh vegetables, the bounty of a good season, etc.) involved in farming. CSA farmers purposely plan for such contingencies; the farmers use growing techniques that protect the harvest to minimize the risk and optimize the rewards. On the whole, members will get a wide variety of vegetables in plentiful amounts. I understand this principle and agree that there is no guarantee on the exact amount or type of produce I will receive in my share. By becoming a member, I agree to support the farm with timely payments. I commit to picking up my share(s) weekly and I understand that if I, or someone I designate, is unable to pick up my share(s), they cannot be saved. I understand that my contribution as a member is utilized as seed and spring start up funds for the farmers and therefore my CSA membership fee is nonrefundable.